Start with a couple of plastic cylinders. Any will probably do. You could also do this with think narrow boxes I would assume. I used crystal light containers (note: you could always go and buy to containers of crystal light for $1 each. Then you could enjoy a delicious beverage while doing this tutorial).
Next, strip off the label and cut the cylinders. I used a hacksaw to cut mine and it went through pretty straight and smooth. You will need to cute 3 pieces from the 2 cylinders: a short one, a slightly longer one, and a coupler.
Cut the coupler length wise one time so that it looks like a “C”
Next, grab your foam! If you followed my tray tutorial, then you should have some scrap foam lying around. I used 4″ thick foam. In this case, I used a piece of foam slightly bigger than the cylinder. That way, the foam in condensed in and will make a tight fit.
Grab your razor and your foam and go for the “slice and dice”. Be sure not to cut all of the way through the foam. You want all of your strands still connected at the bottom. Note: Be careful not to cut your fingers, also, if the fit is too tight in the cylinder, remove some excess strands.
Place the foam in to the cylinder and test it out with your brushes. Make sure they fit tight and don’t move around. We don’t want to damage those bristles during transport.
Now that we know everything fits, it is time to make a lid. Using the coupler we made ealier, attach it to the top of the cylinder so that 25% is attached and 75% is above the bottom cylinder. Normally, I would suggest using a rubber cement or other strong bonding glue. It looks nice and forms a tight bond. In my case, I wanted to get this done quickly so Duct Tape it is!!
Now place the brushes back inside and try the top. It should stay on very well and form and almost air tight seal. In my case, I could toss, drop, or shake the container and the brushes stayed put and the lid didn’t even come close to budging.
There you have it. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but I built it for free and it took me about 15 minutes. I can probably trim the top down a bit so that it isn’t so tall, but for tonight, it does the trick.